I’m now on my third small group of high school students. This group I’ve had for the past year is awesome and I love our time together. But I always want to keep in touch with my former students just to let them know I’m here if they need anything and also to sort of check in on them. Yesterday I sent them this message on Facebook, almost every one of them has responded to me already.
Hey guys, this morning I was thinking that it was a year ago that you guys graduated high school, how quickly this year has gone by. When I got involved with High School Ministry, one thing I discovered pretty quickly was that your small group guys become a part of your life forever, not just for the time you spend with them during their high school years. I still keep in contact with the high school small group I led before you guys. One of my proudest achievements with that group is seeing guys that I poured in to their lives, and now they are leading high school small groups and pouring into their students. There are a couple of you who have also done that this past year and I’m very proud of you.
You have now competed your first year of college and while some of you are still in the Southern California area, some of you went away to school, and a couple of you are leaving in the fall for college in other states. You may have been out of sight but you have not been out of my thoughts and prayers. I want to take a minute and have you do a little evaluation of yourselves and make sure you are living the life God meant for you to have and that you are continuing to grow in your faith, disciple to others and serve to the best of your abilities in the ways that God has shaped you. Ask yourself these questions:
- Am I keeping in contact with my old small group guys? Am I still keeping them accountable and being accountable to them?
- Are you active in a new small group? If you went away to college and can’t find a new small group, make one, be a leader.
- Are you staying involved in church, either at Saddleback or at a new church?
- Am I keeping God first and foremost in my life?
- If you’ve drifted away, take a minute to figure out why and get back on track, God didn’t move you did, He’s still there waiting for you, no matter what.
- In your dating relationships are you looking for or are you dating a Christian girl? Someone who has Jesus as the center of her life? If you want a healthy awesome relationship, that’s one of the keys to finding the right person.
When my time on this Earth is done, there are four words I want people to say about me, “Matt made a difference.” I want the same thing for you, make a difference in someone life, use your past experiences to help someone else who struggles with what you struggled with. God never wastes a hurt, if you let Him, He will use you in ways you can’t even imagine. I love you guys!