This is a time of year that Steven and I both love; it’s time for summer camp! I leave this Sunday for high school camp and in two weeks Steven leaves for junior high camp. We’re both really looking forward to camp this year because we both will have entirely new groups of students.
There has been so much written about summer camp these past few weeks but if you’re a leader at camp this summer here’s some quick reminders:
1. Pray like crazy. Pray for camp, for the students, for the leaders, for the worship team, and for your pastors.
2. Be intentional like crazy. Make sure every student in your cabin knows you care and do your best to establish a relationship with each one.
3. Know their names! One of the huge things that say you care is when you take the time to remember their names. I’ve made a goal to have that done within the first 24 hours.
4. Be involved. Don’t sit on the sidelines; don’t be afraid to be crazy, get dirty, whatever it takes to connect with students. Put your cell phones, smart phones, tablets, etc. away and make the week about the students, not the work that might be piling up at your office. The work will be there when you get back; this might be the opportunity for you to make a huge impact in a student’s life. Don’t miss the chance!
5. Don’t get so wrapped up in serving God while you’re at camp that you forget to worship God while you’re at camp. Find a few minutes each day for a quiet time. Reconnect with God yourself each day. For me being a morning person I slip off early in the morning before my guys wake up and have a quiet time.